6th Year of Hosting

July 2nd, 2019
For the period, April 1st, 2019 – July 2nd, 2019, I passed a number of anniversaries in my health journey, not only for hosting parasites, but for other modalities, as well. I continued to host Necator Americanus hookworms, and also Trichuris Trichirua whipworms. I also continued to diligently practice Wim Hof, and fast two days per week.       Overall, I did fairly well during the period. I haven’t made any great advances, but then I suffered no great setbacks, either. Unfortunately, I had some fairly disappointing results from my annual physical blood tests. My vitamin D level was not so great, and my thyroid stimulating hormone had slipped back from last year.


As I said, I continue to host Necator Americanus human adapted hookworms, and Trichuris Trichirua human adapted whipworms. I passed my three year anniversary of hosting hookworms during the period, and my one year anniversary of hosting whipworms also.  And, of course, I’m starting my 6th year of hosting intestinal parasites all to together, beginning in July, 2014 by hosting rat tapeworms.  I continue to take 4-6 hookworms every three months, and 50 trichuris ova every month. My one year total for my first year of trichuris hosting was 500 ova (recalling that I missed two months on account of my extended fast). That’s actually quite a low number, with my provider having a standard recommendation on the low end of 1,200 ova per year. I’ve thought of upping my dose, but I believe I will refrain from that for now and just stay steady at 50 ova per month.
As a follow up on my hookworm rash, I am thankful to say that for my last inoculation in April, the rash was not so bad. I rubbed off the pustules as soon as they formed, and then applied a feminine hygiene pad to the rash for several days to absorb the oozing lymph fluid. I joked with my mother, “When you gave birth to me, did you ever suspect that some 50 odd years later you would be in a grocery store purchasing feminine hygiene pads for me to sop up the oozing lymph fluid from where I had applied hookworms to my skin ?” “Never crossed my mind”, she replied simply. The rash from my April inoculation healed fairly nicely, but did leave some minor scarring. This is actually an improvement from my Christmas Day inoculation, which I rubbed salt in. The salt did dry up the oozing lymph fluid, but apparently it also burned the tissues badly. That inoculation site is still visible as two purple scars on my arm, some six months later. I do not now think salt is a very good idea for the hookworm rash.
Also, my cultivation experiment for keeping hookworms alive in captivity for a month was partially successful. I managed to keep a few worms alive, but most of them did die. I’m going to try again with a slightly different method this time to see if I can do better.

Wim Hof

IMG_0050 (2)

A Wim Hof exercise, ice baths to temper the hands and feet.


I continued to Hof during the period, five days a week. Gradually transitioning to dousing with the garden hose out of doors as the weather warmed, and also beginning to sleep completely naked again. Really, I consider any temperature over 40 degrees F (4.44 C) as fair game for wetting with the garden hose. Under that temperature, I can usually get my cold on in an hour, or so, without any enhancements.
I also continue with three rounds of the simple breathing technique, and occasionally some power breathing.   I also still do daily hand and foot ice baths.   I have a settled into fairly stable Hoffing routine, and have made no significant advancements here.

*As an aside on my Wim Hof practices, when I was a young man, I read a book by former FBI agent, G. Gordon Liddy. The book was titled “Will”, and was an autobiographical account of Mr. Liddy’s life, his involvement in the Watergate scandal, and subsequent incarceration. The theme of the book, expressed in the title, was how he had used his willpower to overcome many obstacles in his life. First, he was a sickly child. But he exercised assiduously until he became a vigorous young man. He was also afraid of rats. So, he trapped one, killed it, roasted it, and ate it. As an FBI agent, he was concerned that he might be taken prisoner and tortured for information. So, he practiced holding his non-gun hand over a candle flame to teach himself to endure pain without flinching. Unfortunately, he became quite good at this practice and damaged the nerves and tendons of that hand.
When I read this account, I was quite taken by it. There seems to be something in young men that entices them to prove their pluck and bravery. For example, I am now reading, “Land of the Spotted Eagle” by Luther Standing Bear. The author lived as a free roaming Plains Indian in South Dakota until his middle teen years, when his band was forced onto a reservation by the white man. He recounts how the boys of his band used to challenge each other to feats of endurance and courage. Foot races and shows of horsemanship were common. But they also dove under the water to see who could hold their breath the longest, and copied the older braves by breaking the ice of frozen rivers and plunging in naked. Another practice that struck me was seeking out places where mosquitoes were thick, and exposing themselves to them, to see who could bear being bitten the longest.
Here we have primitive boys purposely exposing themselves to blood sucking parasites, holding their breath, and bathing in freezing cold waters. All for the challenge and fun of it. Sound familiar ? Perhaps, there is still a bit of the wild child in me yet, as I find these accounts fascinating. You see, for many years after reading G. Gordon Liddy’s book, I tried to think of a way to cause myself pain, and hone my courage and endurance. I tried to think of something that would not be really damaging, elaborate, or dangerous, and within my limited capabilities. But I never could seem to come up with any thing – until now.
You see, the practice of Wim Hof seems to fit the bill nicely. Few things get into the fear center of your brain like not being able to breathe. And, of course, cold exposures can be painful and challenging in their own right. But, unlike holding your hand over a candle flame, or being bitten by hordes of blood-thirsty, potentially disease carrying, mosquitoes, the Wim Hof breathing technique and cold exposures are not harmful. They do not break you down and harm your health. Instead, they build you up, and improve your health. Win – Win ! I’m quite happy to have finally discovered something simple and not really dangerous to help me indulge my adolescent fantasies for feats of courage and pain endurance. You will forgive me, but a man does need to have some fun in his life.

Blood tests

As I mentioned, my blood test results were a bit disappointing this year. I had hoped to make more progress on my vitamin D levels with my new Sperti UVB lamp. Such was not the case. I registered a level of 39ng/ml, slightly better than last year’s 36ng/ml, but far off what I had hoped for at the end of winter. My TSH was also a disappointing 2.29, recalling that after my first year of dedicated cold training in the winter of 2017, it had dropped to a promising 1.64. As an excuse for this lack luster showing, I could blame my extended fast in February, during which time I neither Hoffed, or used my sun lamp. That is possible I suppose. But I’m not really sure that is the truth. I think it is more likely that my efforts are just not yielding the type of results I’d like to see. This is disappointing to admit, but facts are facts.

Intermittent Fasting

During the period, I continued to practice a 5:2 program, fasting 36 hours every Wednesday and Sunday. I have been doing a 5:2 fasting program for three years now, and all seems to be well. I feel very stable at this point with a 5:2 fasting program.

Sun and Dirt Bathing

With the return of warmer weather, I returned to the habit of an afternoon sunbathe. I typically lie in the sun for about 40 minutes, 20 minutes on the front and 20 on the back. My skin is quite tanned. To this standard sunbathing routine, I often added 5-10 minutes of early morning sun, and the same in the evening, near sunset. Luther Standing Bear said, it was a habit of his people to begin their day by facing the rising sun, standing barefoot upon the earth, and taking several deep slow breaths of morning air. It was a reverent period for them, and it sounds a bit to me like yogic sun gazing to me. I also loosely follow this practice. It feels quite good.
In addition, I passed my 5 year anniversary of not using soap on my body on May 1st. I was quite proud of this achievement, and celebrated by taking a thorough going dirt bath. However, upon the continuing urgings of my family, I will now begin judiciously using soap upon my nether regions. It seems like a reasonable compromise for all concerned.

In Conclusion

I continued to host human hookworms and whipworms, passing my 3 year anniversary on hookworms, and my 1 year anniversary on whipworms. I continued to Hoff five days per week, and fast two days per week, passing my 3rd year of doing a 5:2 fasting routine. And I made it to 5 years without bathing with soap. My blood results were a bit disappointing, but perhaps they will improve again in the future.

Going Forward

I continue to have an interest in hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and may do something about that in the future.  In the meantime, I’ll stick to my customary routine.  Until next time….

The journey continues….



Oct 1st, 2019

For the period July 1st, 2019 – October 1st, 2019, things went pretty well for me. I had some chronic pain, but not as much as usual, and I was able to continue with most of my usual “biohacking” routines. With that said, I did suffer another hand injury that hampered me some. The reason for this injury was quite interesting. More on that later. I continue to host Necator Americanus human adapted hookworms, and also Trichuris Trichirua human adapted whipworms. I continue to practice Wim Hof. Late in the period, I upped my fasting from two days per week to three days per week. And I’ve also added a new practice to my regimen. I purchased a hyperbaric oxygen chamber and began diving in it.

Parasitic Worms

I continue to host human hookworms and human whipworms. I have an estimated stable working colony of around forty hookworms, which is a good sized colony. But my human whipworm colony is still undersized, since I take only fifty trichuris ova per month. At the 15% survival calculation for trichuris, I should have a colony size of approximately ninety-seven whipworms implanted in my large intestine, all under two years old. This is a very small colony. I probably need to take larger doses of ova, striving towards a colony size of around three-hundred young working worms. But I don’t want to get too much going at once. Since I just started hyperbaric oxygen therapy, I have elected at this time not to increase my dose of Trichuris. By the way, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is listed as worm safe in the Wiki Helminth Care Manual.

Wim Hof

Wim Hof

The man himself, Wim Hof

I continue to practice the Wim Hof Method five days per week. This includes breathwork, cold exposures, hand and foot ice baths, mindset, and chanting OM. It’s a nice routine, and I like it. I’ll soon be moving into my third winter of practicing Wim Hof, and I’m looking forward to the cooler weather. I did manage to set a new record on my breath holds during the period of 4 minutes 35 seconds. This is not something I focus on. Sometimes, it just happens. Typically, my breath holds are a much more mundane two to three minutes. Sometimes, usually when I am feeling unwell, my times even drop as low as one minute and thirty seconds. It’s all good.
For those who have not seen the VICE Video that ignited Wim Hof’s world wide fame, it is entertaining and well worth your time. I will include a link to the video below. I can’t think of anyone who could have been more perfect to have brought forward what Wim Hof does. He’s part hippie, part caveman, and very charismatic. Frankly, he’s a nut ! But he is a loveable nut. And he is definitely on to something with his breathing exercises and cold exposures.

VICE: Inside the Superhuman World of the Iceman


Relevant book I’ve read: “What Doesn’t Kill Us” by Scott Carney, copyright 2017.
Intermittent Fasting

During the period, I continued to fast twice per week, thirty-six hours every Sunday and Wednesday. Starting in September, I was able to calculate that I could maintain the same number of calories I was eating in five days, but compressed into only four days. This would leave me free to fast three days per week.
The genesis of this was, unfortunately, me getting fat again. I was getting a little heavy, so I began to diet in July. Reducing my calories did help me lose weight from approximately 195lbs (88.45kg) down to 178lbs (80.74kg). Then I limbered up my calculator and realized that I could eat as much as I was eating before, but only in four days per week instead of five, and thus maintain a healthier body mass index. So, I am currently experimenting with that. I’m four weeks in, and things are going pretty well, so far.
I should mention, I tried Time Restricted Feeding during the period, as well. That is, compressing three meals per day into only two meals per day. I was striving for a 16:8 routine, i.e. fasting 16 hours each day, and eating my meals in a 8 hour time window. This experiment went horribly. My gut rebelled strongly against the extra food, and also the lack of proper food combining. (Proper food combining really does seem to help my digestion.) Tossing that much food on my weak digestion all at once was just too much.
I suspect my natural home in regards to fasting is to fast two days per week, and also practice 16:8 time restricted feeding. That would be an easy, and healthful routine. But I’m just not there yet.

Relevant books I’ve read on the subject: “The Alternate Day Diet” by Dr. James Johnson, copyright 2013.

“Eat, Stop, Eat” by Brad Pilon, copyright 2017.


Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT)

And now for the big news. During the period, I purchased and began using a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Whoo-hoo ! It is a soft, 1.3 ATA, 34inch diameter “Military” chamber from Newtowne Hyperbarics. I also purchased the appropriate oxygen concentrator to go with the unit, a AirSep Intensity 10. This was quite a move for me for several reasons among them being: The cost (!). I am chemically sensitive. I was in Dr. Paul Cheney’s practice when he developed the Oxygen Toxicity Theory of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I demonstrated oxygen toxicity according to his testing. And I don’t fully understand how this therapy is supposed to work. I’m not sure anyone fully understands it. Nevertheless, I am currently on my 80th dive with the chamber, and despite some considerable mishaps, I have a good feeling about this.
To tell you the truth, I had never seriously considered hyperbaric O2 therapy for my case. The cost was prohibitive, and the chambers appeared to be rubberized, which would be a nightmare for my chemical sensitivities, I thought. However, I learned that there was a local person, who had made their own chamber from a metal water tank. I was so desperately ill and in pain at the time that I reached out to this person, as I figured I didn’t have anything to lose at this point. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out for me to dive in their chamber, but it did stimulate me to begin educating myself about this therapy. It quickly caught my attention that, there were many people likened unto myself, with chemical sensitivities, limited diets, and self-identified as having mast cell disorders, who were doing this therapy. These people were not only reporting that the soft chamber did not smell and activate their chemical sensitivities, but also that they were seeing considerable improvements in their longstanding illnesses over time, despite the home chambers being limited by law to 1.3 – 1.5 atmospheres of pressure. Naturally, this caught my eye, and I began to pay quite serious attention. After several months of study and deep consideration, I finally looked at myself in the mirror one day and said, “If you don’t do this, you’re a damn fool”. And so the wheels were set in motion.
The first thing I did was acquire the oxygen concentrator. It was not as expensive as the chamber, and I thought I could test whether supplemental oxygen would harm me, as Dr. Cheney’s testing and theory suggested it would, before going any further. The concentrator is fairly large and heavy. Just unboxing it was challenging for me. But I finally got it all going, and was informed by family that it had a slight chemical smell. So then I had to run it for several days before the smell went away and I could attempt to use it. I hooked up a PVC Hudson oxygen mask and tubing to the concentrator. I had previously sunned and aired, and soaked the mask and tubing in baking soda, for several days to get the chemical smell out of them, as well. I breathed the O2 from the concentrator for ten minutes, and then everything quickly went to hell in a handbasket.
For the next two days, I was so sick. I had the hibbie jibbies and just couldn’t calm down. It was not very nice to put in months of study and effort, spend over a thousand U.S. dollars on a concentrator, and then immediately stumble so badly out of the gate. And I didn’t know what the cause was. The mask and tubing ? The O2 concentrator ? Dr. Cheney was right after all, and this venture was doomed for me from the start ? I slowly considered my options, and after great effort, located a metal oxygen mask with Tygon tubing made especially for people with chemical sensitivities, from Dr. Rhea’s famous environmental clinic in Dallas, TX.. So, I got the new mask, hooked it up to my concentrator, took a deep breath, and flipped the switch. (These concentrators sound a lot like Darth Vader breathing, btw. So, the feelings of trepidation were only intensified !) 10 minutes went by. No reaction. Next day. No reaction. I was elated, but continued to test the mask and unit each day for an additional month before finally calling it good. Time for the chamber.
I want to mention here the great amounts of kind help I received from other people pursuing this therapy, and also from the owner of Newtowne Hyperbarics. The owner of the company was very patient and kind in dealing me over multiple phone calls. She related to me how she had gotten into this business after hyperbaric oxygen had helped her so much with her own chronic health problems. And she was kind enough to send me samples of the materials the chambers were made out of to see if they would trigger my chemical sensitivities. I was amazed that they really did have no smell. They didn’t trigger me at all. Newtowne Hyperbarics is a relatively new company, but they were already developing a good reputation in the mHBOT community, and their prices were MUCH lower than their competitors. I was also able to get a good discount on my chamber because of prior military service in my family. Two days after I placed my order, a huge box appeared on my front porch. I thought to myself, “I can’t be sure, but that’s either three fully grown humans hiding in a box, or it’s my chamber”.
I struggled and struggled to get the box in my living room, and over the next three weeks I slowly unpacked the chamber and got it set up. I should mention here that I have mobility issues, so getting the chamber set up was challenging, and I was genuinely puzzled and a bit apprehensive as to how I was going to manage to get in and out of it. (I’d spent many days on Google and YouTube researching pulleys, harness, rock climbing, etc., studying how I might use mechanical assistance to get in and out.) But I finally got it all together and took my first 5 minute test dive. It was a bit strange, but I managed to pull it off better than I thought I could. And while mechanical assistance would be nice, it really isn’t completely necessary in my case, after all. Then things got weird.
You see, the goal of mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy (mHBOT) in chronic illness, is generally to work up to 1 hour at full pressure (1.3 – 1.5 atmospheres) everyday, for 2-3 years. Yes, years. Usually, people see some encouraging results in the first year, but it takes 2-3 years to fully test the therapy and heal, if possible. It’s a big commitment. But most people can’t start out at a full hour per day, at full pressure, with O2 mask. They have to work up to it slowly. I have to tell you, even after five minutes at full pressure with O2 mask, I felt woozy when I got out. I was like, “Whoa !”. So rather than pursuing a faster ramp up schedule, I decided to go much slower, starting at 5 minutes per day, and add an additional 5 minute increment every two weeks. I’d seen too many divers in my research ramp up fast, get severe symptoms, and end up right back where they started (after taking a break), and having to start all over again. I didn’t want that. But I still got more than I bargained for anyway.
You see, for decades, I had not dreamed properly during sleep, if at all. I knew it wasn’t right not to ever dream, but there seemed to be nothing I could do about it. Well, guess what. On the very first night, following my 5 minute dive, I started dreaming like crazy, and I’ve dreamed like crazy every night since. A fellow diver said they thought this reaction, which was common with mHBOT, was an indication that my brain was “waking up”. Whatever the case, on the fifth night of daily five minute dives, I was awakened by a family member screaming at me, “What are you doing ? !!!”. I turned to them and said, “I don’t know !” Well, it turns out I had been out of bed in my sleep punching the wall – really hard – over and over and over. Once everything calmed down a bit, we flipped on the lights and looked at my hand, and it didn’t look good. It didn’t look good at all.  It was obvious I had some broken bones.
The next day we went to the doctor, and found out I had luckily only broken the small metacarpal bone in my dominate hand. They put a cast on my arm, and I came home. And do you know what was the first thing I did when I got home ? I hopped right back in the chamber and took a dive.  My family wasn’t particularly pleased with my actions, but I was undeterred by their apprehensions . I’ve dived everyday since, and fortunately with no further nocturnal mishaps.
During that time, I’ve had a number of other strange occurrences that I attribute directly to the mHBOT therapy. One day, I was feeling fine a few hours after my daily dive, and within minutes, I just had my wheels kicked out from under me. I had to practically crawl to my bed, where I lay for hours with my body buzzing and vibrating. I thought, “Oh boy !”. Finally, I drifted off to sleep, and awoke 16 hours later feeling just ducky. Another day, again a few hours after I had taken my daily dive, my whole upper lip suddenly went completely numb. I’m sitting there observing it and thinking, “Am I having a stroke ?”. This went on for half an hour, and then it just vanished. I suspect I’ll have other episodes of “strangeness” before this part of my journey is over, so I am steeling my resolve in preparation for rough sledding.

Needless to say, my life has been “interesting” the last few months. Struggling with daily tasks with one hand has been challenging (typing this report was challenging !). And with all the fasting, and Hoffing, and sunbathing, and diving, I do in a day, I often feel like I’m running my own private health spa. But after 35 years of chronic illness, this is where we’re at.

Relevant book I’ve read: “The Oxygen Revolution, 3rd Edition” by Dr. Paul Harch, copyright 2016.


My 34″ Newtowne Hyperbarics “Military” chamber



mHBOTer’s of the world salute you ! 🙂


In conclusion, I continue to host human hookworms and whipworms. I continue to practice Wim Hof diligently. I’m experimenting with fasting three days per week, rather than only two. And I’ve had a rather interesting start to a new therapy, hyperbaric oxygen with a home soft chamber.

Going Forward

Going forward, I plan to continue slowly upping my times in the hyperbaric chamber, with an eye towards being at a full hour on Jan. 1st, 2020. I’m going to try to hold to fasting three days per week, and even try to gain weight if possible. I’m looking forward to cooler Hoffing weather. And that pretty much sums it up for now.

The journey continues.


Jan. 1st, 2020

For the period, Oct. 1st, 2019 through Jan. 1st, 2020, I continued to host two species of human adapted parasitic worms, Necator Americanus hookworms, and Trichuris Trichirua whipworms. I continued to fast three days per week. I continued to practice the Wim Hof Method. I continued to dive in my hyperbaric oxygen chamber. And I also took a tentative step in the direction of new therapy – photobiomodulation. Overall, I did fairly well with no great set backs, but still no great leaps forward, either.

Parasitic Worms

As I said, I continue to host human adapted hookworms and whipworms. I’m holding steady at 4-6 hookworms per quarter, and also at 50 Trichuris ova per month. My hookworm cultivation to be taken on Christmas day was rather disappointing with only 4 hookworms discovered. But they did take when I applied them, leaving a rather unfortunate rash. I shall have to think about why this cultivation was so unproductive, and try again very soon.


More hookworm love bites, Dec. 29th, 2019


Bites from Dec. 2018. Rubbed with salt and scarred badly. 😦


Sarah’s Simple Method of Hookworm cultivation in my sophisticated incubator – a shoebox. 🙂


My sprawling laboratory


Wim Hof

I continued to “Hoff” steadily throughout the period. And although I am not pushing as hard this year as I have in other years, I have actually managed to finally clearly experience some of the “holy grail” of the Wim Hof Method – brown fat thermogenesis. As Wim himself says, “Feeling is understanding”. And I’ll have to admit, this seems to be true. Brown fat activation is a rather unique feeling. I’ve never before experienced it in my life, and I’d say it is a fair bet that most people living in the conventional western world have probably never experienced it either. In response to a cold exposure, the talented or trained body, will turn on certain cellular machinery, and rather than getting cold from the cold, it will instead warm itself up. On an experiential level, it feels rather like having eaten a warm bowl of soup, or perhaps the sun shining pleasantly upon your skin. It feels very nice.
The next level is to be able to activate the brown fat more strongly and consistently in response to the cold. Then you attempt to take the next step and be able to activate it any time – at will. At the same time, you work on your conscious control of your circulatory system. At this level, you would be able to direct warm blood to your hands and feet, or any other part of you body, just by willing it. These are tall orders, I realize. However, I’ve already achieved a number of things that I would not thought possible. So, let’s just stay on the bus and see where it goes. At least, I’m enjoying the scenery along the way.


Intermittent Fasting

I continued to adhere to my three day per week fasting routine. Fasting 36 hours on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The routine is a little difficult. It is certainly not as easy as fasting two days per week. But I have persevered and neither lost, nor gained any weight. I seem almost perfectly balanced calorically speaking with this fasting schedule. I’d like to challenge myself a bit, and gain perhaps five pounds (2.27kg), just to prove that I can. But we’ll see. I have no plans to change my fasting routine at the this point.

(mild) Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

I also continued to dive in my home hyperbaric oxygen chamber. The chamber only goes up to 1.3ATA of pressure. So, it is classified as mild, or mHBOT. Ironically, mHBOT may be better for many conditions, rather than higher pressure, standard HBOT. HBOT was originally derived from diving medicine. It was used to treat the painful, and even fatal, formation of nitrogen bubbles in the tissues of divers. Thus the terminology of a session the hyperbaric chamber still being called a “dive”. Ironically, the potential of this therapy was not, and has not, yet been fully realized in the medical community. One of the reasons is because using the higher pressures appropriate for acute diving sickness, it appears, is not appropriate for other conditions, particularly chronic conditions. These patients would be overdosed on the therapy by a wide margin when using a protocol developed for acute diving sickness. Still, people with chronic conditions owe a great deal to the diving community in this area for their pioneering and life saving work.
I now stand at 165 dives in my chamber. Typically, I dive every day, with the exception of taking six days off for hookworm inoculations every three months. I was concerned that the delicate larvae might be harmed during their migration phase through the lungs. So, out of an abundance of caution, I don’t dive until my little friends have safely exited the lungs, and arrived in their new home – my small intestine.
I began with only five minutes in the chamber at full pressure when I first started diving. Due to my exaggerated reaction to even that small amount of therapy (Ahem !), I elected to progress very slowly, increasing my times at pressure only five minutes every two weeks. I am now up to 55 minutes per day.
I haven’t had anymore serious reactions during my progression up to this time at pressure. I suspect this is because I have gone so slowly in working my times up. But there have been a few days even at that when I felt like I’d definitely had all I wanted and was not eager to go any faster. The goal in all this is one hour per day, every day, at pressure for 2-3 years. Then maintenance at 3 to 4 times per week thereafter. It’s a pretty big commitment. To safely increase and decrease the pressure and avoid hurting your ears while in the chamber takes at least an additional twenty minutes going up and down, not counting your time at pressure. So, if you are in the chamber at pressure for one hour, it will take at least 1 hour and twenty minutes to do the whole session. It’s like a job. You have to show up for work everyday with your lunch pail and just do it.


Metal O2 mask and Tygon tubing for the chemically sensitive

In Conclusion

I am continuing to host human hookworms and whipworms, diligently practice the Wim Hof Method, fasting three non-consecutive days per week, and building my times at pressure in my home hyperbaric O2 chamber. I have made no significant advancements, but have suffered no major set backs, either.

Going Forward

I plan to get up to one hour at pressure in my mHBOT chamber, and just keep on keeping on with my other routines as is for the time being. However, there is one new potential therapy on the horizon that I am investigating, photobiomodulation/red light therapy. I have even gotten a small device that I’ve been fiddling with for a month or so. I’ve been pleasantly impressed with the irradiance of this small device. No conclusions so far, but I have a feeling there could be some gold to be mined here.


Red-Infrared Combo Mini, ~$100 USD, from redlightman.com located in the U.K..


Red-Infrared Combo Mini displaying its power output.

The journey continues


April 1st, 2020
    For the three month period, Jan. 1st, 2020 – April 1st, 2020, I continued to host human hookworms and human whipworms.  I dropped back to fasting only two days per week, instead of three.  I continued to practice Wim Hof.  Vitamin D productive sun bathing has returned to the Northern Hemisphere, and I am taking full advantage of it. And I continued to dive everyday in my home hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  I experienced a brief bout of unremarkable flu during the period, and also quite a few days where I felt pretty lousy.  I think this is a signal that all my efforts are, perhaps, getting some traction and making a difference.
I continue to host Necator Americanus, human adapted, hookworms, and also Trichuris Trichirua, human adapted, whipworms.  My dose has remained the same on each of these.  I take 4-6 hookworms every three months, and 50 embryonated whipworm ova each month.  During the period, I achieved the milestone of having taken 1,000 whipworm ova in the last 23  months.  I continue to be disturbed by not being able to isolate whipworm ova from my stool, however.  I do not understand what is going on there, and I’ve made multiple good faith attempts on this front.
Thankfully, I was able to do a second hookworm cultivation in early January.  I took greater care with this cultivation, and was rewarded with many, many, sleek, beautiful, and blood thirsty hookworms !   No worries there.
During the period, I began to notice that my clothes were fitting looser and looser.  When I checked my weight, I found that I was indeed loosing weight very gradually, about a 1/2 pound (.23kg) per month.  In fact, I had dropped below 180lbs. (81.65kg), a weight I do not like to drop below.   Too, I was getting a little strung out and fatigued from fasting three days per week (probably exacerbated by the negative calorie balance).  So, I had to capitulate and begin fasting only two days per week once again.  I’ve gained weight rapidly eating five days per week !   I don’t know what I’m going to do next on this.  I’ll try to decided something when I gain back to 185lbs (83.91kg), which is a more pleasing weight for me.
I did suffer one minor flu episode during the period.  But I was able to quickly subdue the fever with a five day water only fast.  I began refeeding smoothly, and made an unremarkable recovery in about a week following my fast.
Wim Hof
I kept right on Hoffing through the period, being interrupted only by my brief bout of flu.  During the flu, I stopped cold exposures, as recommended.  However, I attempted to breath the flu away with the Wim Hof breathing techniques.  Many people report being able to essentially cure a cold or flu within in 24 hours by diligently practicing the Wim Hof breathing method multiple times per day.  Unfortunately, I only made it though one and a half days trying this, when I had to give up in exhaustion and defeat.   Perhaps, I will try again the next time I suffer a cold, or flu ?   I did make it further this time with the breathing than my last acute illness, during which I did no Wim Hof breathing whatsoever.   So, we’ll call that progress for now.
Also, I lowered my threshold for dousing with the garden hose yet again.  This year, I’ve gone from 40F to 30F to 20F (4.44C to -1.11C to – 6.67C) in considering what is acceptable for temperatures for wetting down.  I doubt that I will drop my threshold below 20F (-6.67C).  It’s definitely pretty chilly under the garden hose at 20F, after all.  But I can do it.
I also now put out a five gallon (18.93L) bucket of ice water when temperatures are 40F (4.44C), or above.  Once I get through with the garden hose, which is 6-7 minutes, then I finish with a douse from the bucket of ice water, which is usually chilled to a few degrees above freezing.  This will definitely get your attention, and frequently turns the skin on my body pink.  The pink color shows that you are cooling your skin below 50F (10C), which signals the nervous system to reverse vasoconstriction in the capillary beds (and corresponding vasodilation in the shunt vein system), and instead causes, ironically enough, vasodilation in the capillary beds.  I’m not sure why the body is made this way, but it is.  Perhaps, it is an effort to stop the skin from freezing ?   I don’t know.  But pink skin shows you really are getting chilled.  Using the garden hose + a bucket of ice water in this way is a simple and inexpensive alternative to ice baths that actually works pretty well.
I also continued to regularly experience brown fat activation, sometimes pretty strongly.  It feels quite nice.  I would even venture to say that it is slightly intoxicating.  Pretty wild stuff.  Interestingly, I happened to spy a book written by a Tibetan Buddhist Lama, Thubten Yeshe, “The Bliss of Inner Fire”.  It made me wonder if I was experiencing some of this bliss also ?
Although I never really stopped sun bathing this winter, going out for 10-15 minutes of sun even in temperatures near freezing, vitamin D producing levels of UVB radiation have finally returned to my latitude, and I am taking full advantage of it.   I already have a deep tan, even at this early date.  The sun feels very nice upon my skin, and I am thankful for it.
I also continued to dive daily in my home hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  I finally worked my way up to doing daily one hour dives at pressure, which is considered a standard therapeutic dose, esp. in chronic illness such as mine.  Things are going fine on this front as near as I can tell.  But I should say, there were quite a few days where I simply felt lousy.  I would wake up in the night aching all over, and have much fatigue during the day.  In short, I just felt awful a lot of the time.  It is very hard to stay motivated during these periods.  And you begin to question what you’re doing.  “Maybe, I am doing too much ?”, you think.  “Maybe this isn’t right for me ?  Maybe, I’m making myself worse ? !!!”.   All these doubts pounce upon you at these times, and you have plenty of time to reflect upon them in the isolation of a hyperbaric chamber !  Nevertheless, I have persevered through it all, and perhaps even seen a few glimmers of improvement at times ?   I continue to hope that my efforts are well placed, and that my experience of negative symptoms are merely sickness leaving the body, so I can experience better well being in the future.
*If I was attempting to make an attribution as to what was causing my negative symptoms, I would bet heavily on the hyperbaric oxygen therapy as the prime cause.  It is a subtle, but very serious therapy.
In Conclusion
For the period Jan.1st, 2020 through April 1st, 2020, I continued to host human hookworms, and human whipworms.  I had to drop my fasting back from three days a week, to two days per week, on account of losing weight and also getting a little frazzled.  I continued to practice and make some small advances with the Wim Hof Method.  I returned to productive sunbathing in the afternoons. And I continued to dive in my hyperbaric oxygen chamber, finally getting up to a standard therapeutic dose of one hour per day at pressure.   I had one brief bout of flu, which resolved unremarkably with a five day water only fast.  I’ve had a lot of days this period where I felt pretty miserable.  I hope that this is merely a good sign, and not a bad sign.  Right now, I have a good feeling about it all.
Going Forward/COVID-19
I am pleased to report that myself, and my loved ones, are so far safe from COVID-19.  We are worried about my limited diet, and ability to source the foods I truly need to eat and feel well in the future.  But so far so good.  The global pandemic has definitely hampered my ability to implement some new strategies I wish to pursue, however.  I need many items from various sources (including China !) to move forward.  I am trying to patient with that, and be thankful for what we have.  During these trying times, I hope that those reading this are also well and safe, in addition to their friends and loved ones.
The journey continues….